Amazing Air Duct Concord also provide dryer vent cleaning in Concord NC.
What is a dryer vent?
When we operate our dryer, the air is pulled in and heated by the electric elements. The heated hot air is sent through our clothes, thereafter the hot air is pulled out a fan and into the dryer vent.
The hot humid air resulted from drying our clothes will move from the vent to the outdoors of your home. If you do not have a dryer vent, the hot humid air will remain in your house, this will cause mold to develop.
The dryer vent is attached to the vent hood which is found at the back of the dryer. The dryer vent tubing is usually made of aluminum. Vinyl or plastic tubing are no longer used now as they pose fire hazard. The tubing goes all the way from the dryer to the outdoors using the shortest route possible.
Flexible aluminum elbows and foil tape are used to link all the tubing. At the end of the tubing, a cover is placed to prevent the hot air and moisture from going right up to your roof or damaging an outside wall. This cover helps to spread out the hot air and moisture in different directions.
What is Dryer Vent Cleaning?
Over time, dust, debris, lint will collect as clots in the dryer vent. For the cleaning process, it will usually involve the professionals as they have the tools and skills to reach deep into the dryer vent and clean all the debris that accumulates along the lining of the tubing.
First, they will remove the cover at the end of the tubing. They will then insert a long vacuum tube and snake brush into the tubing. The vacuum is used to clean up any loose debris within the tubing that is causing the blockage.
For those stubborn debris attaching to the walls of the tubing, the snake brush is used to scrap them away before they are vacuumed out. The professionals are able to handle the cleaning of the elbows and bends of the tubing which are subject to quick build up of debris.
Why is it Important To Clean Dryer Vent?
- To prevent overheating – When there is debris accumulating in the dryer vent, the clog can lead to overheating of the dryer and may even become a fire hazard.
- To save energy – When the dryer vent is clogged, it will take longer time to dry the clothes. This will increase the utility bill. Besides, clothes that stay longer in the dryer tends to wear out faster.
Cleaning your dryer vent regularly helps to maintain your dryer in good condition and extends its life.
What can happen if you do not clean your dryer vent
- Your clothes take longer time to dry – When you do not clean your dryer vent, the debris prevents the moisture from escaping from the dryer and the moisture will remain in the dryer drum, causing our clothes to take a longer time to dry.
- Your dryer is too hot – The debris will trap the hot air in the dryer as they have no space to move out. When that happens, your dryer will become very hot and possibly becomes a fire hazard.
- Your utility bill increases – The debris will add more time to the drying process. When the drying time is extended, the dryer will use more energy and your utility bill will then increases.
How often should you clean your dryer vent?
The recommendation is your household should get your dryer vent clean up annually to prevent debris accumulation within the tubing as the accumulation may poses overheating of dryer, risk of fire and it increases your energy usage.
For household that uses the dryer more frequently then the cleaning frequency should increase accordingly too.
Some quick tips on how can you prevent debris accumulation
- If possible, hang dry heavy bedding or large items instead of using the dryer.
- Operate your dryer to dry your clothes on a 30 to 40 minutes interval to allow better air circulation and less debris build up
- Keep the cover at the end of tubing on to stop birds from building nests which causes blockage.
For more information about dryer vent cleaning in Concord NC call us at: 704-886-1993